Powered By Blogger

Happy To Welcome You To The Hallelujah Chorus

I will exalt you my God, the King, I will praise your name forever and ever. Every day I will praise you and exalt your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1-2

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

"Hymn Stories" cont. "AGNUS DEI"

If you haven't done so today, please take a few minutes right now, go to YouTube, type Michael W. Smith, search for AGNUS DEI, click on it then just watch and listen. If you have a real heart for Jesus Christ, you might want to have some tissues handy.

For me, this worship moment could never be scripted, and I think Smitty knew it and just let it flow through the large assembly of worshipers. I have probably viewed it nearly 100 times and it always grips me the same way - puts me on my face before the Lord. I am a bit sad and maybe even a little resentful that I have missed out on worship at this level for a large part of my life. But, also grateful to have discovered it late in life.

AGNUS DEI is Latin for "lamb of God". This has been an important piece if liturgical music for many centuries in the Catholic, Eastern Orthodox and Anglican churches and is integral to many of their daily and special occasion masses. However, their use of it is very different from the way Smitty performs it.

It's Biblical origin is in John's gospel -

     "These things took place in Bethany beyond the Jordan, where John was baptizing. The next day 
       he saw Jesus coming to him, and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the
      world." 
     "Again the next day John was standing with two of his disciples and he looked upon Jesus as he 
      walked, and said, "Behold the Lamb of God". John 1:28-29, 35-36 NASB

Several years ago I taught a Bible class that was centered in the Psalms of David. At that time I was actually writing a journal for Michelle, our oldest daughter, that was a year long journey through David's 70 Psalms, so the material was fresh every week. One of the most important things David taught me was the spiritual power of the words "HALLELUJAH", hence the name of this blog. I was never taught to use that word except in an occasional song we sang in worship. I learned to "PRAISE THE LORD" often in that way.

Jesus the Lamb of God is deserving of our daily praise and Michael W. Smith leads me in that praise every morning. HALLELUJAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment