Powered By Blogger

Happy To Welcome You To The Hallelujah Chorus

I will exalt you my God, the King, I will praise your name forever and ever. Every day I will praise you and exalt your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1-2

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

"Master the Tempest is Raging" HYMN STORIES

The last few days have been pretty intense as we saw the destructive force of hurricane Sandy rage through the Caribbean and anticipated her arrival on our own doorstep. News reports this week have shown much of the destruction on our shores and now she has made her presence felt in a historic way all along the Eastern seabord and nearly half of the US. The loss of many lives, critical infrastructure and the total disruption of life in thousands of cities and communities can devastate more than buildings, trees, the stock market and even the political campaigns - it can cause us to question our faith.

"One day he and his disciples got in a boat. "Let's cross the lake," he said. And off they went. It was smooth sailing  and he fell asleep. A terrific storm came up suddenly on the lake. Water poured in and they were about to capsize. They woke Jesus: "Master, Master we're going to drown!" Getting to his feet, he told the wind "SILENCE!", and the waves, "QUIET DOWN!" They did it. The lake became as smooth as glass. Then he said to his disciples, "Why cant you trust me?" They were in absolute awe, staggering and stammering, "Who is this anyway? He calls out the winds and sea, and they do what he tells them!"  Luke 8:22-25 MSG

This incident inspired a young woman to write a very powerful statement of faith that has comforted many as we have sung it, especially the chorus.

Mary Ann Baker was reared in a devoted Christian family but when she lost her only brother to the same respiratory disease that claimed both her parents, her faith was severely tested. Living in the long winters of Chicago seemed to only worsen her brother's delicate condition so he sought a more friendly southern climate. Although he seemed to experience some slight improvement, his body eventually gave in to the disease. Mary Ann and her sister were unable to bring his body back to Chicago for burial because of their financial circumstances and their own health challenges.

Mary wrote, "God doesn't care for me or mine.This particular manifestation of "divine providence" is unworthy of a God of love. I have always tried to believe on Christ and give the Lord a consecrated life, but this is more than I can bear. What have I done to deserve this? What have I left undone that God should wreak his vengeance upon me in this way?"

Her sentiments are echoed over and over in the tragic experience of so many - EVERY DAY! - but especially today as the terrible images are shown on every TV over and over. That's just very human and we cant help how we feel. So, because we seem to have the expectation that God will prevent us from having to deal with tragedy, the easiest way to comfort our own spirit is to blame God.

As always happens in people of real faith, time passed and Mary's faith began to rise once again in what she called her "unsanctified heart", and just like as in Jesus' first century disciples, her faith flourished as she continued to learn from the Lord's gentle rebuke, "Where is your faith?" She soon wrote the words of the beautiful faith building hymn, "Master the Tempest is Raging".

We've all been in that boat with Jesus. What he taught those disciples and me is more important than his miraculous calming of the sea and the wind. He is Lord of all that occurs in our life and he will always bring us through to the calmer shore. I have had to put his question, "WHERE IS YOUR FAITH", to my heart many times in my 71 years and always with the same outcome. He hasn't always calmed the waves and wind that have suddenly arisen in my life, but he has always calmed my spirit and with the help of his Spirit given me a new vision of just who he is in my life. He has helped me see beyond any present circumstances to see a new day when the sun shines again.

I pray for those whose lives have been devastated this week by an irresistable force of nature. I know they will rebuild what has been destroyed, because that's just what we all do, even as they grieve for those personal losses that cannot be restored. My prayer is that through it all, they can see Jesus as Lord and allow his Spirit to convict, comfort and give a new vision for their future.   HALLELUJAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment