Powered By Blogger

Happy To Welcome You To The Hallelujah Chorus

I will exalt you my God, the King, I will praise your name forever and ever. Every day I will praise you and exalt your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1-2

Monday, September 17, 2012

"Songs of Deliverance"

If ignoring God is the crown jewel of human arrogance, hiding from him is the epitome of human ignorance. The assumption that we humans can do either is both futile and fatal. Why would the human spirit even listen to the deceit of Satan, the one who KNOWS from firsthand experience, that we're only fooling ourselves if we even have the thought that God doesn't know all there is to be known? If you ignore God long enough and if you hide in the shadows of darkness long enough, that becomes a lifestyle of lies and constant fear of the unknown.

I praise my Father that even though he had to stick it out with me a long time, I can now hear him sing in my spirit just like King David of old. His life had its ups and downs too and he turned his back to God for a short period, but his faith was always strong enough to bring him back. That's my story too.

        "Let everyone who is godly pray to you while you may be found; surely when the waters
          rise, they will not reach him. You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble
          and surround me with songs of deliverance."      Psalm 32:6-7 NIV

Until I was writing a journal from David's Psalms for my daughter I am sure I had never thought of God as singing. Somehow, the vision of God I had grown up with didn't create that kind of picture of who he is or what he does. After I became a father, I gradually learned how to do that from God. His fatherhood paints for us the perfect picture of how a father thinks and acts on behalf of those he loves.

Now, as I recall those early days of fatherhood, I have vivid memories of sitting in a rocking chair late at night holding a small baby who was having trouble sleeping, rocking and softly singing. The amazing thing is it always worked. Some nights required more rocking and singing than others, but it always worked. Now, I am comfortable with allowing God, my Father, to do the same for me in difficult situations.

         "The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you
          he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."  Zephaniah 3:17 NIV

What does that mean for me? I fully realize this prophecy is directed to the nation of Israel and specifically about Jerusalem, however it says something about the fatherhood of God that is his nature. He is "mighty", he "takes great delight" in his family, his "love" expresses itself most when we feel afraid or defeated, he rejoices over us with "singing".

Disagree if you feel you must, but I feel that my Father God sometimes sings over me through the songs of my family, especially my grandchildren, sometimes when in assembled worship with my church family and often through uplifting Christian music that I listen to daily. However, there are also times when I feel him singing to my spirit at times I really need comforting or encouraging. What does he sing? I truly don't think I am capable of putting it into words. He just lets me know I am his and he wont let go - EVER!

Have you heard God sing? I am willing to confidently affirm that you have if you are his child. Get your Bible and read Romans 8, carefully, at least two or three times. You will hear God SING!  HALLELUJAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment