Powered By Blogger

Happy To Welcome You To The Hallelujah Chorus

I will exalt you my God, the King, I will praise your name forever and ever. Every day I will praise you and exalt your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1-2

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

"Precious Lord Take My Hand" Hymn Stories #4

One evening last week I was mindlessly channel surfing and came across a show on GAC that was featuring performances of spiritual songs on the Grand Ole Opry. The thing that immediately caught my attention was a performance of Ronnie Milsap, a singer I have admired and appreciated for many years but haven't seen or heard much of in the last two decades. He was telling a story in his animated way about a man named Tommy Dorsey. I knew that name from the past because during the early days of television Tommy and his brother Jimmy Dorsey were very popular with their orchestra. Well, according to Ronnie Milsap, THAT Tommy Dorsey wasn't a famous hymn writer as some had assumed.

Thomas Dorsey was born in Georgia in 1899, the son of an African American minister. When Thomas was a young pre-teen the family moved to Atlanta where he developed a love of the blues. Later when they moved again to Chicago, Dorsey eventually began playing piano in local blues and jazz clubs and writing. music. He also attended classes to learn more about music composition to further his career. However, he attended the National Baptist Convention in Chicago in 1921 and soon began composing hymns instead. Gradually his hymn writing began to capture more attention and eventually became his passion. Some time in August of 1932 he was in St Louis on business and received word that his wife had died. After driving all night to get home he learned that his baby son had also died during the birth. His life was shattered to the point that he later wrote, "I didn't want to serve Him (God) anymore or write gospel songs". But that feeling only lasted a few days until he again sat down and put his fingers on a keyboard. He wrote, "As my fingers began to manipulate over the keys, words began to fall in place on the melody like drops of water falling from the crevice of a rock."

Precious Lord, take my hand
Lead me on, let me stand
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn
Thru the storm,
Thru the night
Lead me on, to the light
Take my hand,
Precious Lord lead me home.

Thomas A. Dorsey went on to compose many memorable hymns, such as "Peace In The Vally" and has been honored as the so-called "Father of Gospel Music".

This beautiful hymn puts me in mind of a group of Psalms known as the Passover or Hallel Psalms. They were sung during Passover and at many other times by the Jews even in Jesus' day as the haggidah,  a liturgical re-telling of Israel's deliverance from Egypt by Yahweh. Consisting of Psalm 113-118 this group of songs sort of carry the same message as "Precious Lord, Take My Hand". In English vernacular, the word Hallel translates to HALLELUJAH, or Praise the Lord. See what you think from this short excerpt -

"I called on the Lord in distress, The Lord answered me and set me in a broad place. The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me? The Lord is for me among those who help me ...... It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man. It is better to trust in the Lord than to put trust in princes." Psalm 118:5-7 NASB

Thankfully, I have never had to face the same test of my faith that Mr Dorsey did but I am very grateful to him for having the faith to encourage my spirit for many years with his powerful prayer. I have sung and prayed it often. HALLELUJAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment