Powered By Blogger

Happy To Welcome You To The Hallelujah Chorus

I will exalt you my God, the King, I will praise your name forever and ever. Every day I will praise you and exalt your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1-2

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

"A Son Never Forgets!"

Last weekend I watched "Men of Honor" for either the fourth or fifth time. I hadn't seen it in several years but have always been inspired by the performance of Cuba Gooding, Jr and Robert DiNero.

The movie is based on the life and Navy career of Carl Brashear, a young African American man who grew up in the cotton fields of Mississippi, who overcame impossible odds in the 40's & 50's to become the first black Navy diver. His unwavering commitment came from his father who taught him the value of honor and to never give up. He rose to the rank of Senior Petty Officer and Master Diver despite the racism that was the norm in his day.

When Carl left home to join the Navy, his father gave him an old homemade radio so he could listen to music and baseball. He cherished that radio and took with him to every duty assignment. On the wooden case, Carl's father had scratched these words "A Son Never Forgets - ASNF".

Solomon wrote - "The Lord gives wisdom and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. He holds victory in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for he guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones." Proverbs 2:6-8 NIV

This son NEVER forgot these words of pure truth from my Father, and even though, like Carl, I haven't always performed in every way He has directed, His words have never been far from my thoughts. He has always been faithful to bring me back to the place where he could bless me. HALLELUJAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment