Powered By Blogger

Happy To Welcome You To The Hallelujah Chorus

I will exalt you my God, the King, I will praise your name forever and ever. Every day I will praise you and exalt your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1-2

Friday, April 22, 2011

"I Just Lost It!"

Can you recall your latest "anger episode"? Can you recall what triggered it? What did that anger prompt you to do and say? As you look back over it after the fact can you think of some other way you might have handled yourself with a better result?
Anger is a legitimate human emotion. When we feel attacked or mistreated in some offensive way, our spirit naturally reacts defensively. And, sometimes anger can be a lifesaver. But, if we allow that defensive response to become habitual it can easily develop into a destructive lifestyle.
Solomon wrote - "Better a patient man than a warrior, a man who controls his temper than one who takes a city." Proverbs 16:32
"A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense." Proverbs 19:11
Hair-trigger temper is always a weakness of spirit that we tend to rationalize with such reasoning as "I GOT SO MAD I JUST LOST IT!", or "THAT'S JUST THE WAY I AM", or "SHE/HE KNOWS HOW TO PUSH MY BUTTONS" etc, etc, etc. You get the point. We've all been there and in the right circumstance can still go there.
Here is my favorite from Solomon's extensive commentary about anger - "Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self control." Proverbs 25:28 NIV
Uncontrolled anger leaves you defenseless because someone else is in control of what you think, say and do. Solomon's words have meant a lot to me because most of my adolescent and young adult life I was that "out of control" man he speaks of. I have never murdered or even physically assaulted anyone except my three kids who had to endure my temper fits when they pushed my buttons. Today I am often amazed that they love me and respect me as a man of true faith because I'm pretty sure some of my tirades bordered on child abuse. I admire all three of my kids because they are so much better at parenting than I was.
Anger isn't always a bad thing but when its out of control, even for a few seconds or minutes, it can destroy a relationship, an opportunity, even a human life. All of us can cultivate a better way to respond in those anger-inducing situations than with threats and violence. Self control is a learned skill that isn't complicated but it usually is a tedious process that requires someone close to you to hold you accountable for your outbursts.
I have also learned to really appreciate these words of the Holy Spirit because they have spoken often to my spirit - "Everyone (did he just say EVERYONE?!) should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." BUT he doesn't stop there - "If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight reign on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless." James 1:19-20,26 NIV
Solomon's insight is priceless and worth repeating - "Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self control." START WITH CONFESSION AND PRAYER and see what happens in your spirit and your relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment