Powered By Blogger

Happy To Welcome You To The Hallelujah Chorus

I will exalt you my God, the King, I will praise your name forever and ever. Every day I will praise you and exalt your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1-2

Friday, March 4, 2011

The Chronicles of Amazing Mema! #3

"My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus Christ in him I'm blessed. His church being my rock of safety. Being here all my 79 years in growing faith keeps me strong in mind and body. Many things have happened to me but here I am all together and very happy. I'm living alone after seven years without Harold and making out really well. I'm not lonely or depressed - THAT WOULD BE A WASTE OF TIME AND ENERGY FOR ME. 11/98"

Over the years I have had many discussions with men and women who had lost their mates to death. Since I haven't had to live through that experience I cannot speak about it from a personal perspective. However, I have watched how my Mom lived that experience and how she just continued to be a blessing. I know she spoke truthfully about not feeling lonely or depressed because that is just not in her nature.

Hanging on the back wall of our fireplace, which faces the kitchen/dining room, is a large framed homemade plaque which was given to her by one of her neighbors. It simply says "HAZEL'S BED AND BREAKFAST". That neighbor watched the constant stream of visitors whom Mom welcomed into her home for however long she could get them to stay and presented her with his handiwork with the comment that she should start charging for room and board.

Sometime in March of 1981, Mom wrote extensively about the Ten Commandments and then commented that "Jesus condensed them into two: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart and soul and mind and strength. Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. Today in our world these commandments are vital and very important to us as Christian principles to know and love God more. They show his power working throughout all the land. Put God first - others second and our lives will naturally be enriched beyond all expectation and above all will be pleasing to God"

Amazing Mema has always been a true servant and has modeled that for her family in ways that are unforgettable. That is why she was never lonely or depressed, she truly operated a B&B and loved every minute of serving others. She just never had time to sit around and feel sorry for herself.

Today as we visit her in the nursing facility, she doesn't know anyone, not even most of her family, but it doesn't matter because to her every person who walks in her door is family. She is still loving life!

No comments:

Post a Comment