Powered By Blogger

Happy To Welcome You To The Hallelujah Chorus

I will exalt you my God, the King, I will praise your name forever and ever. Every day I will praise you and exalt your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1-2

Monday, September 13, 2010

GOD'S NAME IS NO BYWORD

When God spoke to Moses from the burning bush at Exodus 3, he established an everlasting theological principle at V:15 - "Say this to the people of Israel, 'The Lord the God of your fathers has sent me to you.' This is my name forever".
The word "LORD" when written in capital letters stands for the divine name YHWH, the most sacred name of God among the Jews for centuries.
In his Psalm 30:4, David wrote a phrase that seems to mirror what God had said to Moses - "Sing praises to the Lord, O you his saints and give thanks to his holy name." In Hebrew that literally translates into "the memorial of his holiness". David was certainly aware of God's instructions to Moses and wanted his own people to honor this sacred memorial.
I feel pretty sure YHWH is saddened at the habitual, flippant use of his sacred name by so many in our world today. To me, its very sad that we humans have turned the sacred forever name of God into a common expression of every emotion from disgust, to anger, to sadness, to joy, to whatever.
Yahweh demands and deserves our praise not our lame attempts at profane manipulation of him. Let's praise his name every day without allowing the world to shape our vocabulary into something we will regret forever. He is no byword. He is LORD! HALLELUJAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment