Powered By Blogger

Happy To Welcome You To The Hallelujah Chorus

I will exalt you my God, the King, I will praise your name forever and ever. Every day I will praise you and exalt your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1-2

Saturday, August 28, 2010

THE RESTORATION OF JOY

Joy is always fragile. But, the human spirit is resilient, even in the face of scary circumstances. For me, my faith is the basis of that resiliency because I always know the Spirit of my Father is my constant defender. That doesn't mean I never experience times of anger or fear or doubt, but they are always short lived. I've learned that like all the human family, I always go in the direction of my dominant thought. And, I can choose my own thoughts.
David sang, "Have mercy on me O Lord, for to you I call all day long. Bring joy to your servant for to you I call all day long. Bring joy to your servant for to you O Lord, I lift up my soul." Psalm 86:3-4 NIV
David made a choice and it wasn't to wallow in self pity or anger or fear. That only takes one into a dark place which will fill up the empty spirit. He chose to cry out to God for mercy in the sure knowledge that only God could give him back the joy that others had sucked out of his spirit.
Paul and Silas were arrested in Philippi for casting a demon out of a young girl who was being exploited by ruthless men too lazy to make an honest living. Paul put up with Satan's diversion for a time, but when it became a distraction from the good news he was trying to share, he took action against the one he knew was the enemy. The jailer was instructed to put them in stocks and tucked them away in the inner prison. Then he went home to his family to have dinner. At midnight, he and the entire prison population were awakened by singing. His prisoners were singing praises to God and were actually released from their bonds by the God they were worshiping. So was the jailer and his entire household, released from their bondage to sin.
It is quite possible that the praises they were singing to God was David's Psalm 86. I love that thought even though it is only speculation. Our God is like that. Even after a severe beating and threats of worse punishment, two faithful men refused to allow Satan to win by stealing their joy. HALLELUJAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment