Powered By Blogger

Happy To Welcome You To The Hallelujah Chorus

I will exalt you my God, the King, I will praise your name forever and ever. Every day I will praise you and exalt your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1-2

Thursday, July 15, 2010

THE FACE OF GOD

As I have wandered through David's 70+ Psalms I have been intrigued and surprised by some of his statements about God, many of which kind of fly in the face of what I have been taught and believed my whole life. One of the greatest lessons I have learned from David is to resist my cultural habit of making God into what I am comfortable with.
Here's an example, "The Lord is righteous; he loves righteous deeds; the upright shall see his face." Psalm 11:7 ESV
Having heard my whole life that no one can look on God's face and live, that statement from David has caused me to look more critically into what he Holy Spirit has revealed to us about the face of God. It is true that God told this to Moses at Exodus 33:20, but there are numerous other scripture references where God either said the opposite or he allowed men to look in his face and live.
I have no logical explanation for this apparent difference and feel no need to explain God's words or his actions. However, the idea of seeing God's face is truly a rather exciting prospect and something I am totally incapable of getting my mind around.
God is my Father and I love him as my Father but seeing his face isn't an event I can visualize or rehearse. He is very real to me and I long to see his face because he has given me everything I love and cherish. And, I am satisfied with the sure knowledge that my Father has revealed himself to all the human family in the face of his Son, Jesus Christ, so actually seeing his face isn't a real issue for me. But, it is an intriguing prospect. Kind of makes me think of Paul's self description at 2 Corinthians 12 about a man who was caught up to the third heaven who saw and heard things he could not even speak about.
This I know for certain - heaven will be way beyond anything I can even imagine right now. That doesn't frighten me and it shouldn't frighten any person of faith. It should be exciting and charge us with a renewed sense of destiny as we stumble around our own imperfect world. We will see things and experience some things that we wont be able to put into words. We will see Jesus. That's enough! HALLELUJAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment