Powered By Blogger

Happy To Welcome You To The Hallelujah Chorus

I will exalt you my God, the King, I will praise your name forever and ever. Every day I will praise you and exalt your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1-2

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

THE SOUND OF GOD SINGING

This year has been a new spiritual adventure for me as I have wandered around in the Psalms of David. I don't actually recall any time in my life that I have not had faith in God, but as I have matured physically and spiritually, I have come to know God in a much different way than in my earlier years. David had that same experience and came to know Yahweh in a more personal way.
At some point in his 40 year reign as Israel's king, David wrote these words: "Let everyone who is godly pray to you while you may be found, surely when the mighty waters rise, they will not reach him. You are a hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance." Psalm 32:6-7 NIV
Maybe about 420 years (give or take) after David's reign, the OT prophet Zephaniah may have had David's words in mind when he wrote his own prophecy about God. The prophet had most likely sung David's songs often during his life so it may be safe to assume he recalled David's song when he wrote, "The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." Zephaniah 3:17 NIV
In all my years no one ever taught me anything like that about God. Even after I had discovered Zephaniah's words a few years ago, I still struggled with the idea that God would actually "sing" over me. I realize the Holy Spirit may have used this word as a metaphor for God's care over those who love and serve him. But my heart wants to believe more.
As a father too, some of my most joyful experiences have been connected with my three children and their families. In addition to singing such songs as "Happy Birthday" and all kinds of children's songs, I too have rejoiced to sing with them in worship and sing over them in prayer and thanksgiving. I feel certain that one of the memories my family will share at my funeral some day will relate to the songs I have sung over them and with them.
Here is the bottom line - I HAVE HEARD GOD SING! It isn't an audible sound in my ears, but a powerful stirring of emotion in my spirit. Over the years I have asked many servants of God if they have heard God sing and without exception, they all have affirmed that they have. Even though they may not have realized what it was at the moment, they came to hear God's singing in their spirits too.
If you have never heard God sing over you, maybe you just need to check your heart and determine if you have a listening spirit. He wants you to hear him singing! HALLELUJAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment