Powered By Blogger

Happy To Welcome You To The Hallelujah Chorus

I will exalt you my God, the King, I will praise your name forever and ever. Every day I will praise you and exalt your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1-2

Friday, December 21, 2012

"A Tribute For Douglas E. Johnson"

In my half century of ministry experience I have officiated probably more than a thousand funeral services and have always considered doing so a great honor and privilege. In all those years I have been unable to perform the service only twice.
The first was when my maternal grandfather, Sid Darnall, was overcome by a stroke in 1970. My grandmother asked me to officiate his funeral service but I just could not control my emotions enough to speak about my lifelong hero. He had been too important in my life both as a boy growing up with him and as a man. Next to my dad, he was the greatest influence in my life and my faith.
The second was this past weekend when my great friend and brother Doug Johnson lost his long battle with cancer. His beautiful wife of 49 years asked me to officiate his funeral service and at first I agreed but soon realized that my emotions were to strong and backed out. Even now, almost a week later, my grief lingers just below the surface.
Doug was married to my cousin Carolyn whom I have loved all my life since we are the same age and grew up together in Marshall County Kentucky. Her grandfather and my grandmother were brother and sister, but she has always been a sister to me. Like the Rose and I, she and Doug lived all over the US as they pursued successful careers and ended up in Houston, Tx for 30 years. After spending 30 years in Dallas, Tx, the Rose and I moved back to Hardin, Ky in 2006 to care for my Mom and two years later Doug and Carolyn did the same. Since that time the four of us have struggled through the death of our mothers, mine in June 2011, and Carolyn's  in January 2012. Through it all we have laughed and cried and supported each other in every way imaginable. I guess one could say we made life bearable for each other.
Doug Johnson was more than my brother in Jesus Christ. He was my closest friend next to my wife and my children, and we shared something very special. Although he was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY, I thought of him as my cousin too. He and the Rose shared a unique relationship also because although she was reared in the Bronx, NY and he in Brooklyn, they were always "homies" who loved each other in a special way. When they were together there was always a lot of "New York" in the room.
I have been encouraged today by these words of Paul as interpreted by Eugene Peterson -
"By entering through faith into what God has always wanted to do for us - set us right with him, make us fit for him - we have it all together with God because of our Master Jesus. And, that's not all: We throw open our doors to God and discover at the same moment that he has already thrown open his door to us. We find ourselves  standing where we always hoped we might stand  - out in the wide open spaces of God's grace and glory, standing tall and shouting our praise.
There's more to come: We continue to shout our praise even when we're hemmed in with troubles, because we know how troubles develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next. In alert expectancy such as this, we're never left feeling shortchanged. Quite the contrary - we can't round up enough containers to hold everything God generously pours into our lives through the Holy Spirit. Christ arrives right on time to make this happen." Romans 5:1-6 MSG
So, go on my brother Doug, shout your praise in the Father's wide open spaces and continue to stand tall. We don't grieve for you, but for our loss of your presence with us. We will hold fast to the many wonderful memories you have left us and somehow in God's grace keep going here until we rejoice with you there. You are now cancer free, pain free and most of all HOMEFREE. HALLELUJAH!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Kent for your heart-felt words of encouragement and praise toward our brother, friend and very special person...Douglas Einar Johnson. He was always the effervescent, outgoing guy you wanted to be with even when he had pain and didn't really feel good. Always willing to share a new story and/or joke of the day, Doug was knowledgeable in virtually every subject and could carry on a conversation with the CEO of a public company or console a lonely person far removed from the main stream of life.

    His love and support of Carolyn never faltered in over 30 years of our friendship. She was the one he always wanted to "get back home to" when away and just talking to me. His love for Christ and the church were paramount in his life and he was willing to share with anyone who needed his comforting words at any time.

    I already miss my friend and I look forward to our reunion someday.
    Ken Cornett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug talked about you often. He relied on your professional guidance and spiritual counsel and he trusted you in everything. Even though I hadn't met you until last weekend, Doug and Carolyn's love for you were more than enough to put you in a special place in my heart too. I wish I could come with her to Houston for the memorial, but the Rose and I will be with three of our grandkids while their parents are in Costa Rica.
    Thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words! I wish you and Rosie could make it to Houston for the memorial also as it promises to be another praise event for Dougie. But your constant and consistent support of Carolyn on a daily basis is more important at this time. May God continue to bless you in all you do to work in His vineyard in KY and around the world.
      Ken

      Delete