Powered By Blogger

Happy To Welcome You To The Hallelujah Chorus

I will exalt you my God, the King, I will praise your name forever and ever. Every day I will praise you and exalt your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1-2

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Eternal Father Strong To Save #2

My last post highlighted the origin and national importance of the Navy Hymn, "Eternal Father Strong To Save". I learned to sing it while in boot camp and sang it many times during my Navy enlistment. The song is a powerful prayer asking the Father to care for all who navigate the unforgiving and unpredictable sea. I want to reiterate if you are unfamiliar with it you should Google the title and read it.

I think these words from Psalm 107 carry the same message and just a bit more that should inspire -
"Others went down to the sea in ships; they were merchants on the mighty waters, they saw the works of the Lord, his wonderful deeds in the deep. For he spoke and stirred up the tempest that lifted the waves. They mounted up to the heavens and went down to the depths; in their peril their courage melted away. They reeled and staggered like drunken men; they were at their wits end. Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble and he brought them out of their distress. He stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed. They were glad when it grew calm, and he guided them to their desired haven. Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men. Let them exalt him in the assembly of the people and praise him in the council of the elders."

I've truly been there, done that, several times. I vividly recall the first hurricane I rode out while at sea, many hundreds of miles from any land mass. We knew it was coming and rather than try to outrun it, which would have been impossible anyway, our Captain turned the ship into the teeth of it and headed into the eye where the sea is calmer. Most of that first night we were fighting swells in excess of 80 feet tall and every time one of those waves crashed over the ship there was much groaning and shuddering as that nearly 600 ft long craft struggled to break through it. I stood two deck watches during that night and had to use my belt to anchor myself to a steel pole that supported the level above me. Every time we hit one of those waves it would dump untold gallons of cold water down on my head from the deck above. So yeah, it was scary and all of us did a lot of praying. In fact, our ship's Chaplain remained on the bridge all that night in an effort to keep everyone calm.

One other passage has been a huge source of encouragement to me in my older adult years and I pray it will energize your faith to appreciate at a deeper level just what the Eternal Father has given you in his Son.

"Since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand." Romans 5:1-2

The word "ACCESS", is truly something very special because it is the idea of "introduction". The Greek word contains two powerful "word pictures" that you need to know to appreciate.
(1) It was the common word used for introducing someone into the presence of royalty
(2) It was also the word for the harbor where ships could find safe haven from a storm

Because of Jesus and in him, we have been formally introduced into the presence of the real King, the absolute Ruler of heaven and earth. Jesus has given us "access" into the grace of God by bringing us into the Father's presence in a way that is utterly impossible otherwise. As our Father, He planned this for us at some point in eternity past and brought it to reality through Jesus Christ, our Lord.

Because of Jesus and in him, we have gained entry into the harbor of safety to shelter us from certain death and destruction. No longer sailing in unprotected waters, we are now free from the fear and desperation that is always unpredictable on this sea of life. God's grace, his undeserved and unearned favor, protects us.

I am honored to do as the Psalmist encourages, to thank my Eternal Father for his unfailing love and praise him in the assembly of others who have also sheltered in the safe harbor of Jesus Christ our Lord.

HALLELUJAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment