Powered By Blogger

Happy To Welcome You To The Hallelujah Chorus

I will exalt you my God, the King, I will praise your name forever and ever. Every day I will praise you and exalt your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1-2

Friday, January 13, 2012

"Learning To March"

"So I say live by the Spirit and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature (flesh). For the sinful nature is contrary to the Spirit and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature, so that you do not do what you want. But, if you are led by the Spirit you are not under law." Galatians 5:17-18 NIV
"Since we live by the Spirit let us keep in step with the Spirit." v:25

Paul's encouragement to "keep in step with the Spirit" puts me in mind of a marching band or my company at boot camp in the Navy. The first few weeks we were a sorry lot, but since we marched everywhere we went and practiced many hours on the"grinder" (parade ground), most of us learned pretty quickly to listen to our cadence caller and pay attention to each other. By the time of our graduation ceremony several months later, we had become a single unit able to march forward, backwards, sideways, even double time. At first I thought it was a waste of time and effort, but throughout my naval career, I realized the real world importance of what I had learned doing all that marching. However I cant imagine how well I would do while carrying a bass drum or playing a tuba. 

Keeping in step with the Holy Spirit is really the same skill set. Learning to listen, pay attention and work hard at improvement is what a life of commitment to Jesus Christ as Lord is all about. We have his word and example as a perfect pattern to emulate, we have each other to help us stay on track and the Holy Spirit is always there to point out our mistakes and how to eliminate them from our daily march. He also is constantly working to teach us new skills to practice to perfection.

This year I have begun the most comprehensive study of the Holy Spirit I have ever undertaken. With the aid of a good computer program and a new NASB Hebrew/Greek Key Word Study Bible (a Christmas gift from my kids Michelle and John Sullivan), I have traced the presence of the Holy Spirit through the entire Old Testament. I've always known he was there but have failed to really appreciate just what he was doing in the lives of men and women of God.

I am now ready to begin the same process through the New Testament with a new, fired up anticipation of what I will discover. I plan to share it with my sweet daughter, Felicia, in the journal I am writing for her this year, and with the readers of this blog. You may not agree with some of my thoughts and conclusions and that's okay, just feel free to communicate with me. My ultimate purpose is to glorify Jesus Christ as Lord and learn something I don't already know about His Spirit.

Over the years I have come to realize that without the Holy Spirit's daily, personal encouragement, I would still be stumbling around trying to figure out why my life is out of step with who I can and want to be. I learned that skill in boot camp and now I am learning to do the same with the Holy Spirit. HALLELUJAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment