Powered By Blogger

Happy To Welcome You To The Hallelujah Chorus

I will exalt you my God, the King, I will praise your name forever and ever. Every day I will praise you and exalt your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1-2

Thursday, August 11, 2011

"The Wise Man's Conclusion"

All of last year I was uplifted, instructed, challenged and encouraged by a daily study of David's 70+ Psalms. This January I began to journal through Solomon's Proverbs and found much that I can identify with in my daily life. However, as I began to journal through Ecclesiastes in early May, I have found myself scratching my head in wonder at most of what Solomon wrote about life, about God and about other people. He began this book by affirming that as the "Preacher/Teacher", he felt the need to teach his people and others. I understand that motivation having been there myself and dealing with the desire to learn in order to be qualified to share with others.

Solomon has finally worn me out! By the time I arrived at chapter 10, I felt a deep sense of sadness for his lack of positive faith in God's love. His incessant pessimism has gotten to me. So, I am ready to move on to something else that lifts up Jesus as Lord and truly teaches us WHO our God and Father is and WHAT he has done, is doing and will do in my life for my good.

However, I cannot go there until I first visit the end of what Solomon wrote at the end of the book - "Here is the conclusion of the matter; Fear God and keep his words for this is the whole (duty) of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, good or evil." Eccl 12:13-14

"FEAR GOD"? Really? Is that best this "wisest man who ever lived" can come up with after a long life of privilege and blessing? I am way short of the level of wisdom and knowledge Solomon is said to have received from God and that made him famous among his peers and countrymen. However, "fear" is a poor reason to serve God because at best, it won't last very long.

I grew up on that kind of preaching and teaching and although "fear" obviously has some value in our relationship with God, with parents and others, if it fails to mature into something much more it will only produce loyalty to God in short-lived fits and spurts.

I realize that what Solomon may have meant by his "conclusion" could encompass more than terror of what God can do to me. But in my lifetime the ways I have heard this used by preachers and teachers has always left me in a dark place. So, here is what "fear God" means to me as a mature Christian man:

I think Isaiah got right it Isaiah 50:10, "Who among you fears the Lord and obeys the word of his servant? Let him who walks in the dark, who has no light, TRUST in the name of the Lord and RELY on him." So, to me "fear God" means:
(1) Always live before him with deep respect as the only true wise One
(2) To honor his Fatherhood and revere his name above all others
(3) To daily meet with him to thank him, praise him and express my love to him
(4) To tremble at the prospect of ignoring his love and disrespect his words.

In the 27 New Testament books, there are about 270 billboards that warn men of hell! So, there will be a final judgment when men will be called to account for all they have done in the body. However, because of Jesus, I no longer live in "fear" of that prospect. He has delivered us from that horrible outcome and taught us how to "love" God as Father. HALLELUJAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment