Powered By Blogger

Happy To Welcome You To The Hallelujah Chorus

I will exalt you my God, the King, I will praise your name forever and ever. Every day I will praise you and exalt your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1-2

Thursday, July 14, 2011

"A Sad, Meaningless Life"

Seems to me Solomon may have written these words as an old guy contemplating a long life of challenges and bad choices but seeing his end as a victory. Younger people are not there yet because they still have plenty of time to really get serious about seeing the end of life. So, they "entertain" themselves with empty pursuits that mask the reality that life is fragile and fleeting. Like Solomon, I know because I've been there too.

"Since no man knows the future, who can tell him what is to come? No man has power over the wind to contain it; so no one has power over the day of his death. So, wickedness will not release those who practice it." Eccl 8:7-8 NIV

To me, this is a statement about the end of a meaningless life that has refused to really hear God, the true King. Death is inevitable for all and we all know it but we will die as we have lived. Jesus said, "Where your treasure is, THERE will your heart be also." An ungodly lifestyle can only end one way.

Wealth, power, fame, position are all finally meaningless if they have been wasted on purely self serving motives that fail to recognize and honor the true source of life itself. Every life that has turned a deaf ear to God the only King, regardless of the honors received from men, will finally be judged as pointless.

This, to me, is Solomon's personal testimony and observation.

No comments:

Post a Comment