Powered By Blogger

Happy To Welcome You To The Hallelujah Chorus

I will exalt you my God, the King, I will praise your name forever and ever. Every day I will praise you and exalt your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1-2

Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Chronicles of Amazing Mema #9

Mom has always loved birds. She loved to watch them on her feeders and scratching around in the snow. Since she has lived most of her adult life within in spittin' distance of the creek and the woods, she has had ample opportunity to observe them. One thing she enjoyed was educating all the grandchildren with her bird books. She even gave certain types of birds her own names. Here is an example from her journal entry dated October 18, 1999. She gave it the title "Lovey Dovey".

"Some of my friends express themselves as being lonely and blue. I know I have to be very fortunate because my days are full of friends and I am never lonely or depressed. Just today I observed two doves in the sycamore tree by the creek, just fluttering around. I timed them in that spot for more than one hour. They must have come a long way and really rested side by side. I looked away occasionally to keep from getting cross-eyed. But it was nice to just watch how they sat there together for so long a time.
When we see nature as I do from our living room while watching TV, its great and I regret that I don't know how to write about it in story form. That sure would be nice because I see so much from my chair looking out on the world. Right now I am watching a little wren trying to build on my front porch.
I named the two doves, Lovey and Dovey."

Solomon wrote - "The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears her down." Proverbs 14:1 NIV

I am one of those fortunate ones to have had a "wise" mother who appreciated things that are truly worthwhile. She "built her house" on a foundation of faith in God and genuine love for others, including insignificant birds. Many people would never see the value of sitting still to observe two doves in a tree for an hour. But, Amazing Mema saw so much more than two birds in a tree. She saw them as visitors to her world and she welcomed them just like she would any human visitors who stopped by to say "hello". I love that about her as does our whole family.

No comments:

Post a Comment