Powered By Blogger

Happy To Welcome You To The Hallelujah Chorus

I will exalt you my God, the King, I will praise your name forever and ever. Every day I will praise you and exalt your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1-2

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Chronicles of Amazing Mema #16

A great part of Mom's life has always revolved around the church and serving God. She grew up in that atmosphere on both sides of her family. They were singers, teachers, preachers and shepherds. Her maternal grandfather, Andrew Jackson Pace, was one of the founding members of the church she grew up in. Then her father, her husband, both of her sons and her son-in-law all served God as shepherds in the church.

On May 23, 1996 she wrote a rather long commentary on 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9 both of which describe the kind of men God is looking for to lead his flock. She wrote from many years of experience of watching men in her life take on that leadership role and how it impressed her.

Then one month later on June 24 she continued her train of thought at 4:45 a.m.
"Being an elder's daughter for 25 years and an elder's wife 17 years has been a real school of learning for me. I have the greatest privileges that makes living a joy beyond measure. Our life together as a family is happiness and peaceful living. I'm on my knees in thanksgiving to our Maker who made all this possible for us. We couldn't make it by ourselves so this all had to be coming from a watchful eye above to guide our way.
My life is a series of blessings and in our senior years we just look back in amazement and know the Great Guide, God's word, has to be the answer. I remember in our meeting house at Union Hill the elders put me teaching a class in one corner of that big room at an early age of 16 years old. So, I have many people to thank for their care and interest in me. Growing in Christ takes years of strength in love."

I learned about leadership by watching and listening to my Mom's father. He wanted me to sit beside him at church from the time I was a young boy. We sat on the front row of what was called "The Amen Corner", which was a group of mostly older men. I learned to sing bass and tenor sitting there for years between Granddaddy Sid and Uncle Redic Pace, my grandmother's brother, who was also an elder and song leader.
Granddaddy was my spiritual hero as a youngster. I wanted to be just like him, still do. He was a servant to all and a positive example for me until my own Dad became a Christian.

I understand Amazing Mema's love and respect for church leaders. The only ones she really knew were the same men she lived with and observed virtually every day. Over the years I have been privileged to know some truly great men of God and have tried to learn from all of them. And, that all began in a small country church in Marshall County Kentucky, the same one Amazing Mema began her career as a Bible teacher at the wise old age of 16. HALLELUJAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment