Powered By Blogger

Happy To Welcome You To The Hallelujah Chorus

I will exalt you my God, the King, I will praise your name forever and ever. Every day I will praise you and exalt your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1-2

Friday, March 18, 2011

The Chronicles of Amazing Mema #13

Mema was involved in a serious vehicle collision in early 80's when she and her grandson's wife hit each other head-on just south of Benton on a narrow two-lane highway. The crash shattered her right ankle which had to be reconstructed. During her recuperation she began making quilts for all the family. She had actually begun this hobby a few years before but the accident made her virtually a 'shut-in' for a long time, so she quilted - every day. She made quilts for all of us including the grandchildren and great grandchildren, more than 30 in all.

The last quilt she made was really special to her because she and Dad worked on it together. They began the project on April 1, 1991 but had to suspend work on it because Dad's condition slowly worsened over the summer and he passed away in October that year. Mom finally completed the quilt in January 1992.

I want to share two special pieces Mom wrote about this quilt, she called it - "AMERICANA" because of how she designed it. It measures 98"x100". Here is what she wrote.

"Harold and I decided for this quilt to be handed down to Michael Kent (mine & Rosie's son in Dallas, Tx) because he is our only one in the family to carry on the Sutherland name. The AMERICANA quilt was entered in the Texas State Fair in October 1992. Kent came to Kentucky and picked me up to go to Texas so I could see my quilt there. I got to go to the Fair twice and see my quilt hanging there with so many others. I also got my picture made standing there with my yellow ribbon on the quilt. The AMERICANA QUILT symbolizes America, USA, with its red, white and blue colors. It has embroidery work of all 50 states, each with its state flower and birds on 50 blocks of white material and one large block white block of embroidery of United States, Alaska and Hawaii."

On January 25, 1992 after she had completed the quilt, Mom also wrote her own kind of poem that sort of explains her motivation for quilting it. She titled it
"OUR USA AMERICANA" -
"I'm so in love with USA Americana,
My home is in a small corner of her world,
Living is the greatest in freedom she portrays
At every point from sea to sea and land to land.
Each state with character and personality,
Showing their state bird and flower,
To spread her happiness with song and beauty,
She shines a light over the whole world.
So SING OUT Americans, we are listening,
Enjoying your freedom and flying your colors."

Americana speaks to the whole world,
A nation of hard working people,
A compassionate friend to everyone,
Her colors flying red, white and blue,
Her beauty blazing in floral hue,
Her song birds singing in our country on cue.

To future generations, please take care,
Dedicate yourselves to make Americana speak true,
Spread her patriotism all around you,
Smile on her gently in loving review,
Our country AMERICANA speaks on for all mankind."

Both Mom and Dad were proud to have their two sons serve our country in the US Navy. Dave and I are proud to have been blessed with parents who understood and made us aware of what we have as citizens of a free society. Democracy has always been a bit messy, even from the very beginning, but in my travels around the world I truly saw how special our democracy is. Even today there are people in the middle east fighting the fight our forefathers achieved centuries ago. But, the daily maintenance of our freedom is still pretty messy and certainly worth the risks and the effort required. HALLELUJAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment