Powered By Blogger

Happy To Welcome You To The Hallelujah Chorus

I will exalt you my God, the King, I will praise your name forever and ever. Every day I will praise you and exalt your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1-2

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

HAS JESUS MADE A DIFFERENCE?

As I have wandered around in David's seventy Psalms this year I have often tried to visualize him as he sat writing the words of most of them. He surely was an emotional person who never seemed to hesitate to say whatever he felt. This one is among his most striking to me - "THE FOOL SAYS IN HIS HEART, 'THERE IS NO GOD'. THEY ARE CORRUPT AND THEIR WAYS ARE VILE; THERE IS NO ONE WHO DOES GOOD." Psalm 53:1 NIV One of the reasons I am struck by this Psalm is that David, for some reason, repeated it verbatim at Psalm 14. Although David repeats certain words and phrases in many of his songs, this is the only one, as far as I can tell, that is repeated in its entirety.
Maybe 1000+ years later, at Romans 3 Paul strings together five quotes from David and Isaiah to make the same statement about his own generation. He was discussing the fact of sin among both the Gentile and Jewish communities and concluded there is no real difference between them and quotes David's words from Psalm 53 to make his point.
David and Paul were both obviously very disappointed in the people they lived among. So was God!
I don't think what David wrote is true of my generation because I know many more people than I could ever count who do a lot of good for the glory of God and in the name of Jesus. Without question there are many who ignore God, many who do little or no good with their lives and many who live in an impenetrable fog, and their number may be growing. But, that has always been true because satan rules the world with his maze of lies and trickery.
I choose to praise God for the many others who are eager to know God's will and allow His Spirit to be their daily Counselor. If they were not in my life, I am sure I would have the same pessimistic attitude that David sang about. Maybe his song was true of his generation, but I am very thankful to live in a time when and where Jesus has made a huge difference. HALLELUJAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment