Powered By Blogger

Happy To Welcome You To The Hallelujah Chorus

I will exalt you my God, the King, I will praise your name forever and ever. Every day I will praise you and exalt your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1-2

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

UNBREAKABLE FAITH IN A DARK CAVE

Many of David's psalms have the sound of having been written at a very low point in his life. Although only two are identified as being written in a "cave" while on the run from King Saul's incessant hounding, there seem to be to be many others that probably were written in similar circumstances. Since all of David's young adult years were spent on the run from Saul, he undoubtedly spent many days and nights in caves.
Psalm 143 fits into this category, at least for me. David wrote, "The enemy pursues me, he crushes me to the ground; he makes me dwell in darkness like those long dead. So my spirit grows faint within me; my heart within me is dismayed." Psalm 143:3-4
I appreciate how the Message interprets David's words, "The enemy hunted me down; he kicked me and stomped me within an inch of my life. He put me in a black hole, and buried me like a corpse in that dungeon. I sat there in despair, my spirit draining away, my heart heavy like lead."
The "enemy" who put David in this sorry state wasn't really the King, it was the same enemy we all must face, satan, the evil one. Satan always delights in putting me in a place of darkness where I am unable to see where I'm going. Driving blind is not only unwise and unsafe, its frightening. I don't even feel comfortable driving behind any large vehicle that I can't see around.
David felt a flood of conflicting emotions ranging from anger to fear but he ended up in the right place. "I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done. I spread out my hands to you, my soul thirsts for you like a parched land." v:5-6 "For your name's sake, O Lord, preserve my life; in your righteousness bring me out of trouble. In your unfailing love, silence my enemies; destroy all my foes, for I am your servant." v:11-12
I've been that "parched land" thirsting for the comforting nearness of my Father and he has never failed to sweeten my parched soul. Sometimes I have become impatient to the point of fear, like David, but my Father always comes through. People of faith always get to that point and seek the light, Jesus Christ our High Priest. HALLELUJAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment