Powered By Blogger

Happy To Welcome You To The Hallelujah Chorus

I will exalt you my God, the King, I will praise your name forever and ever. Every day I will praise you and exalt your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1-2

Sunday, May 23, 2010

THE ULTIMATE DEFINITION OF GOOD

Mark 10 records two graphic scenes that depict the heart of Jesus in two very different contexts. In the first he is seen reprimanding his disciples for attempting to prevent parents from bringing their children to Jesus to be blessed by him. His holy indignation at their misguided actions is obviously aimed at teaching them a very different truth about the heart of God the Father than they had ever known.
In the second scene, a young man of considerable wealth came to Jesus to ask what we might assume to be a serious question, "What must I do to inherit eternal life?" Jesus' response must have been a real shocker to the young man, especially since he felt confident that his commandment-keeping lifestyle had been intact from early boyhood.
But what truly intrigues me is Jesus' immediate response to the young man's question. Jesus sort of reprimands the young man for calling him "good master/teacher" with a question of his own, "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone."
David wrote: "The Lord is righteous in all his ways and kind in all his works." Psalm 145:17 NIV That is the best definition of "good" that I have ever read.
Jesus was right about God, comparatively there is no one "good" like God the Father. However, Jesus' comparison of himself is what intrigues me.
I have never EVER heard anyone make any kind of statement about Jesus that could be characterized as anything other than good. But, he seems to pretty severely reprimand the young man for calling him "good". He was/is good, but maybe the lesson for us is that nothing and no one compares to the absolute goodness of God our Father, not even his Son.
If there is anything in me that can be called "good", it is only because of what I have learned from God my Father. Maybe Jesus felt that way too. So did David. God is the uncaused first cause, not only with reference to the creation of our universe but with all that is good in it. Praise His holy name! HALLELUJAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment